Kudos to Grassroots Environmental Education, our partner in the I Love Long Island Campaign for ‘bay friendly yards’! Thanks to them and to Assemblyman Steve Englebright, Chair, Committee on Environmental Conservation and Kemp Hannon,Senate Health Committee Chair, there’s now a bill before The New York State Legislature that would lower the nitrogen concentration in our lawn fertilizers and give our bays a break!
But that doesn’t happen without YOU. Please read this notice below, and act:
Long Island Assemblyman Steve Englebright and Senator Kemp Hannon have introduced legislation to curb the use of water-soluble, high-nitrogen fertilizers on Long Island. The bills (A10276 and S8170) would amend the Environmental Conservation Law to require lawn fertilizers used or sold on Long Island to contain a minimum of 50% water insoluble nitrogen, and limit total nitrogen to no more than 12% by weight. (Read the proposed law here).
NOW WE NEED YOUR HELP!
We are up against one of the largest industries in the country, one that is intent on keeping its market share, no matter the cost. Lobbyists will be swarming all over Albany, using their influence to per$uade lawmakers that this legislation just isn’t necessary, that there are better ways to do this, and besides, it’s not the products that are the problem, it’s the people who use them! (Heard that argument before?)
We know better. Voluntary efforts don’t work, especially in a highly competitive field like lawn care. Asking homeowners to measure their properties and calculate their square footage and calibrate their spreader settings hasn’t worked either. And limiting applications to no more than 0.9 pounds per thousand square feet no more than three times in any season is just plain unenforceable, and hasn’t worked in any area where it’s been tried.
Please help us reach out to members of the NY Legislature with Letters of Support. We’ve put sample letters and email addresses up on the ILoveLongIsland website.Click here to view sample letters, bullet points and addresses.
TIME IS CRITICAL. PLEASE SEND YOUR LETTERS TODAY!
And Thank You for your support of I Love Long Island!
– The Grassroots Team
- STGSB Podcast Episode 5: Methoprene & Emerging Contaminants - December 17, 2019
- STGSB Podcast Episode 4: Native Planting with Matt Gettinger - December 17, 2019
- STGSB Podcast Episode 3: Shellfish and the Revitalization of the Great South Bay - December 16, 2019
- STGSB Podcast Episode 2: The Challenges of Sustainable Development - December 6, 2019
- The Mayor’s Cup Charity Regatta and Clambake — Celebrating Our Heritage on The Great South Bay - September 27, 2019
- Clam Bake And Party For Save the Great South Bay - August 30, 2019
- Official SGSB Letter To The NYS Parks Department Re: West Brook With Bonus Drone Footage - July 21, 2019
- Repel The Invaders And Help Save The Great South Bay - June 20, 2019
- Coffee With The Supervisor: Native Plantings, Methoprene - June 18, 2019
- The 5K Run For The Bay: Pursuing Change - May 23, 2019