ATTENTION ALL BABYLONIANS!
Save The Great South Bay’s Creek Defender Program launches on Earth Day April 22nd along The Carll’s River!
Save The Great South Bay, in conjunction with local citizens, schools, civic groups, businesses, and with other local environmental groups, will be launching its Creek Defender Program. Save The Great South Bay believes that in order to heal the bay, we need to heal the creeks first. There are 31 of them that flow into The Great South Bay. The launch of The Creek Defender Program in Babylon is meant as a model for all the communities on The South Shore: Here is how you can be effective local stewards of your bays, ponds, streams and creeks.
The first creek we will address is Carll’s River, which begins well north of The Sunrise Highway. We’ve mapped it online like all the other 30 creeks. Clicking on the image will take you to a live map.
Babylon High School, The Elementary School, The PTA, The Village of Babylon, The Town of Babylon, Seatuck,The I Love Long Island Campaign, South Shore Paddle Boards, and a number of local civic groups and businesses will gather to help clean The Carll’s River. We must defend our creeks. We must stop polluting them with runoff, pesticides, and lawn fertilizers, and illegal dumping. In order to heal The Great South Bay, we need to heal the 31 creeks that flow from The South Shore into The Great South Bay.
We propose to accomplish this by organizing ten person teams of volunteers to go door to door in Babylon Village and along Carll’s River with information on The Creek Defender Program, on ecosafe lawn care and using native plantings, to proper stewardship of this river. Babylon’s efforts on Earth Day will become a model for how we address our other South Shore creeks.
9:00 -12:00 South Shore Paddle Boards will lead a clean up of the Sumpawams, starting at their store at 258 East Main Street.
12:00-1:00 Registration, Staging (DJ), Babylon Elementary School:
1:00 – 4:00 Creek Clean Up. Door-to-Door Campaign promoting , which
4:00-8:00 After Party at The Babylon Gazebo. Kick Off by Todd Shaw, Babylon’s Creek Defender (Carlls, Sumpawams, Fosters)
Beer provided by Blue Point Brewery, Brewers of a soon-to-be released beer “Drink The Bay Clean,” with proceeds going to support The Creek Defender Program and other initiatives for the bay.
Local Environmental Groups
Kudos to Babylon for showing The South Shore the way, and for creating the model through which, creek by creek, we can bequeath a healthier bay to future generations!
If you’d like to participate, drop us a line!
- Massapequa Creek Defenders: Preserving Their Preserve - May 5, 2019
- Bayshore Creek Defender Day: Joining Forces For The Penataquit - May 5, 2019
- Creek Defender Day in Babylon: A Team Effort! - April 17, 2019
- Attention Bayport! Volunteer To Pitch In With Your Creek Defender Bob Draffin Today! - April 8, 2019
- Defending Patchogue’s Creeks - April 3, 2019
- The Madness of Methoprene - March 26, 2019
- Introducing The South Shore Estuary Reserve - March 26, 2019
- Whatsa Flupsy? Volunteering To Return Clams To The GSB - March 8, 2019
- York Analytical Laboratories: A Major Benefactor For Save The Great South Bay - March 8, 2019
- Introducing Our Newest Board Member: Karen Vaccaro Marvin - March 6, 2019