Dear Members of The Save The Great South Bay Facebook Group:
Over the past 6+ years, I have watched this group grow to almost 15,000. That’s a tribute to your love for this bay. Lots of great posts, photos, videos. A strong — and civil — community.
We are at the point, however, where we need to drive action from our website Save The Great South Bay. Our Creek Defender Program and our Bay Friendly Yards initiative both require their own web pages so that people could learn more, sign up to volunteer, ask questions, organize around native planting projects and clean ups.
Our goal is to have a Creek Defender for every community on The South Shore — Massapequa, Copaigue, Amityville, Lindenhurst, Babylon, Bay Shore – Brightwaters, West Islip, Islip, East Islip, Oakdale – Great River, West Sayville – Sayville, Bayport, Blue Point, Patchogue, Bellport, Mastic all ready to go for Creek Defender Day April 13th. If you want to be the Creek Defender for your community, or would like to be a part of your community’s efforts, email us at [email protected].
As for our Bay Friendly Yards initiative, if you haven’t downloaded our E-Book Creating a Bay Friendly Yard yet, please do. Native plantings create habitat in your yard. They don’t require fertilizers, pesticides, and excess water. They belong there. As with the ‘swamp forests’ we are planting along our creeks, they also help to filter the groundwater, leading to a healthier bay. We will be planting some “Bay Friendly Yards” in the spring in Sayville by way of launching the initiative.
Going forward, Save The Great South Bay will be project driven, and will work on solutions that can scale to the size of the problem. Fixing this bay is going to require everyone — the schools, the PTA, the local civic associations, The Rotary Club, The Lions Club, The Kiwanis Club, The Chamber of Commerce, the “Power Squadrons,” The Harbormasters, all the marinas and yacht clubs, and of course those public officials who stand with the environment and help our bay.
For us to scale to where we need to be, it’s also going to take a lot of formal members, people who can contribute to the cause of a healthy bay at any level. Below are our membership levels and benefits. The membership card should come in handy via discounts and promotions for our events, for local merchants. CLICK HERE to be taken to our member donation page. If you wish to explore our sponsorship options, CLICK HERE.
Thank you for your support! With your help, 2019 can mark the beginning of the bay’s recovery.
Save The Great South Bay
- A Green New Deal For The South Shore and The Great South Bay - February 13, 2019
- Becoming a Member - January 20, 2019
- Save The Great South Bay’s 2019 Plans - January 17, 2019
- Babylon: Vote YES On Sewering Jan 22nd And Help The Bay! - January 16, 2019
- Fertilizer Follies — Inaction in Action at LINAP - January 9, 2019
- Introducing the “Bay Friendly Yards” E-Book! - January 7, 2019
- Methoprene Madness in Suffolk County - December 5, 2018
- Support SGSB Via Amazon Smile Year Round! - November 26, 2018
- Save The Great South Bay Facebook Demographics - November 25, 2018
- Building A Newsroom For Save The Great South Bay - October 17, 2018