Greetings! I thought it important to share with all of you on yet another dreary April day what is ahead for Save The Great South Bay this month and for you reading this.
Our biggest event coming up is Creek Defender Day in Babylon April 21st. The whole Village of Babylon will be out in force between 12-4 cleaning up along Carll’s River. The elementary school, the high school, the girl scouts, The Rotary Club, The Lions Club, the PTA, as well as local businesses like Emerald Document Imaging and South Shore Paddleboards that are working for a healthier bay. The paddleboarders will be kicking things off starting 8 AM, cleaning up around Sumpwams Creek, Fosters Creek, and Carll’s River as well.
Last year netted 29 tires and 100 bags of trash.
We should shatter that record this year. We’ve already counted 52 tires!
For April 21st, and beyond, Save The Great South Bay will need an army. You can sign up to volunteer for this event or for future Save The Great South Bay events here. We will need people’s help because we will be planting a ‘swamp forest,’ a 1200 square foot plot of native habitat by a trail entrance. Each year, we will come back so that in time we can restore Carll’s River’s watershed and reclaim the woods from invasive species. That in turn will lead to a healthier bay.
Matt Gettinger of Long Island Natives has generously offered to donate the plant material:
Swamp White Oak
We are currently arranging for some post cleanup festivities nearby. Stay tuned!
We want to do this in every town, around every creek. Lindenhurst, Amityville, Bay Shore, West Islip, Islip, East Islip, Great River, Oakdale, Sayville, Bayport, Bluepoint, Patchogue — for the 41 creeks along The Great South Bay. We will clean them all, community by community. We will restore native plants, keep our South Shore communities beautiful. These forests will improve water quality.
- Creek Defender Day in Babylon: A Team Effort! - April 17, 2019
- Attention Bayport! Volunteer To Pitch In With Your Creek Defender Bob Draffin Today! - April 8, 2019
- Defending Patchogue’s Creeks - April 3, 2019
- The Madness of Methoprene - March 26, 2019
- Introducing The South Shore Estuary Reserve - March 26, 2019
- Whatsa Flupsy? Volunteering To Return Clams To The GSB - March 8, 2019
- York Analytical Laboratories: A Major Benefactor For Save The Great South Bay - March 8, 2019
- Introducing Our Newest Board Member: Karen Vaccaro Marvin - March 6, 2019
- A Green New Deal For The South Shore and The Great South Bay - February 13, 2019
- Becoming a Member - January 20, 2019