Shoshanna McCullom, local author, is appealing to the public to share their pictures with her as she writes her latest book:
REQUEST FOR IMAGES: Only 15 months after the release of Fire Island: Beach Resort and National Seashore I have been awarded a contract to compile a second book about Fire Island. It will also be part of the Arcadia series, but in departure from my first title, this will be a contemporary history of Fire Island with color photographs encouraged, 1960’s on forward to present day.
I humbly invite residents from all the Fire Island communities as well as devoted visitors to the State, County and National Park sites to dig up their slides, Polaroid, and Instamatic camera prints as well as high quality digital photos taken in more recent times. Sometimes folks say to me “It just family photos, I don’t see how they could be of interest,” but nothing could be further from the case. Family photos on Fire Island document the evolution of life on Fire Island on so many levels.
This project requires a wide cast net. Storm pictures are great but we want to see Fire Island on a good day too. Surfers, surfcasters, sunbathers, cross-dressers, nudists, nature, and nightlife – Fire Island is so many things to so many people; so share your photos, memories and stories.
- All photographs must be of a resolution quality of 300 dpi or higher.
- Please call 631-583-9052 or e-mail at [email protected] for further information if interested.
- All chosen contributors will receive published credit and a complementary copy of the book.
Here are, for example, some ‘vintage’ color shots of baymen, Courtesy STGSB
- Whatsa Flupsy? Volunteering To Return Clams To The GSB - March 8, 2019
- York Analytical Laboratories: A Major Benefactor For Save The Great South Bay - March 8, 2019
- Introducing Our Newest Board Member: Karen Vaccaro Marvin - March 6, 2019
- A Green New Deal For The South Shore and The Great South Bay - February 13, 2019
- Becoming a Member - January 20, 2019
- Save The Great South Bay’s 2019 Plans - January 17, 2019
- Babylon: Vote YES On Sewering Jan 22nd And Help The Bay! - January 16, 2019
- Fertilizer Follies — Inaction in Action at LINAP - January 9, 2019
- Introducing the “Bay Friendly Yards” E-Book! - January 7, 2019
- Methoprene Madness in Suffolk County - December 5, 2018