How Do We Get People To Stop Using Lawn Fertilizers, Which Go Right Into The Bay And Our Ponds And Streams?

Home Forums The GSB Forum How Do We Get People To Stop Using Lawn Fertilizers, Which Go Right Into The Bay And Our Ponds And Streams?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Noto 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Marshall Brown
    Keymaster
  • #3289 Reply

Ken Noto

Since run-off of fertilizers into the GSB comes from both Nassau and Suffolk Counties, the solution will either be a Regional one, or one imposed by the State of New York. In Maryland, my current residence (I grew up in Lindenhurst in the 1960s/1970s, and also lived in East Islip in the 1980s), they are concerned about the Chesapeake Bay. Here they instituted additional fees on Developers of new properties that were not linked to the Public Sewer System. What some essentially called the “Flush Tax”, not realizing how important the CB was to the State. I don’t know if something like that is feasible for Long Island Developers, or if it could be added onto your Real Estate Taxes (you all pay one of the highest Residential Real Estate Taxes in our Country so I doubt you want to pay more in Real Estate Taxes.

As for reducing the amount of Fertilizers used on Lawns, a suggestion would be to have a Regional, or Statewide Tax on Lawn Fertilizers. If there’s something like a 25% tax “To Save The Bay”, it would reduce the amount used across the region.

But probably the ideal solution would be to create a Fertilizer Product that in some way would not contribute to the pollution in our waterways. Some sort of product, that after a few weeks of “being an active fertilizer”, would in some way render itself inert. For example when exposed to a certain amount of Solar Radiation (Sun light), would combine with another chemical – either present in the environment, or better yet in the fertilizer product itself, to form a compound that is not soluble in water, not capable of entering our watershed as a free Nitrogen fertilizer.

Would the Chemical/Fertilizer Companies research/develop this type of product? Not without plenty of incentives – financial and otherwise. Why? Right now fertilizers are one of the cheapest items for the companies to manufacture – in some cases all they do is dig and then crush the rock. So the incentives will have to be large for them to develop a product that will not hurt our waterways.

Reply To: How Do We Get People To Stop Using Lawn Fertilizers, Which Go Right Into The Bay And Our Ponds And Streams?
Your information: