I stumbled on this GEM of a Video produced by Newsday in the 60’s. A time where fish and clams and oysters were so abundant and delicious with The Great South Bay being one of the most pure and pristine waterways anywhere in the world. The video shows how a once lightly inhabited island turned into a mega metropolis. Levittown was a big part of it.
Long Island has an estimated population of 7.75 million in 2013. It is the most populated island in any U.S. territory or state and the 17th most populous island in the world, beating Ireland and Jamaica. If Long Island were a state, it would by the 13th most populous and first in terms of population density with 5,402 people per square mile, or 2,086 people per square kilometer. It is one of the most densely populated regions in the country. Long Island has 39% of the total population of the state of New York.
Suffolk County has twice the area of Nassau County but it is much more densely populated. When the population of all 4 counties are combined, Long Island has a population greater than 38 states in the country. If it were a country, it would by the 96th most populated ahead of Israel.
Long Island is also the largest and longest island in the contiguous U.S, stretching 118 miles east from New York Harbor with a land area of 1,401 square miles.
Along with the explosive home invasion came millions of septic tanks, coastal golf courses and marinas and enough lawn fertilizer to destroy any waterway. Which is what has happened. As stated above, we are one of the most densely populated regions in the country.
Save The Great South Bay needs your help NOW, TODAY and you may not know it, but by simply adding a Facebook friend is a great way to help! Our membership totals gain attention and helps in the self-efficacy of the ecological challenge at hand.
Our Bay is begging for you help. Please add a FB friend. Make a small donation. If power is in numbers, we have the numbers.
- From a Island To a Nation – If we were a country, we’d be the 96th most populated ahead of Israel - July 28, 2018
- United by Water – The Cause of Our Times - July 20, 2018
- New York and New Jersey Government leading the Ecological charge for our NY/NJ area bays, rivers and estuaries. It’s True! - June 26, 2018
- Pumpouts in The Great South Bay: Are Boaters Pumping or Dumping? STOP POO-LLUTION! - June 19, 2018
- New York and New Jersey: A Bridge to Success. We are all deeply connected to the waters we share - June 18, 2018